Gum Injury from Toothbrush

Home Free Dental Consultation Ask A Dentist Gum Injury from Toothbrush

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Olivia

I am having gum injury from toothbrush. Is there any possibility for tooth-brushing to be dangerous for oral health? I am strictly regular in my oral hygiene habits. I cannot stand bad breath for even a minute. I am utterly conscious of my dental conditions. Every time I eat something, I brush my teeth instantly.

Lately, I feel like there is something wrong with my gingiva. I feel like I am having gum injury from toothbrush. Is it even possible? My gums are all red and painful. Sometimes, it bleeds too. I can even see my teeth a bit more. Like, they are longer now. And the gum is shrinking. Maybe, it is just my subconscious, but can this happen in real life?

I don’t believe that it is caused due to my oral hygiene tools. A toothbrush is supposed to be helpful not damaging. But this is the only thing I can think of. Even my family is saying that I received this gum injury from toothbrush. What can I do now?

#419 Reply
    Dr Maria Asif

Yes, it is highly likely to get gum injury from toothbrush. While tooth-brushing is a good habit, excessive use of everything can be dangerous. It is good to know that you maintain oral hygiene. But there is a term known as over maintaining it. In your situation, I think that is the case.

You see, with a toothbrush, some forces are applied on the gums. To avoid trauma from these, it is important to distribute them efficiently on the oral tissues. For this purpose, it is crucial to use proper brushing techniques. It is not the tools that are dangerous, it all depends on how you use it.

Most of us do not follow the technical way of tooth brushing. If you look it up you will find that in fact, there are several different ways of brushing. These techniques are designed to put lesser forces on the gingival tissue in order to avoid any injury.

In your case, there can be various reasons for the condition. It is possible that you use faulty brushing technique like horizontal scrubbing. There is also a chance that you use the wrong kind of brush, maybe, its bristles are too harsh. Finally, it is possible that you brush too much.

The recommended frequency of brushing is twice in a day. Especially after a meal, you are not supposed to clean your teeth for at least 40 minutes. If you brush instantly after eating, it can do more damage than good.

Now, you said that your teeth are getting longer and your gums are getting smaller. Well, this is the pure case of gum recession. Due to excessive trauma, sometimes, gingiva leaves its place and recedes. This phenomenon is not normal but it is treatable. Your teeth are not getting any longer, they are just exposed.

Lastly, you said that your gum bleeds and is painful, too. Well, this is also because of your gum injury. It bleeds due to excessive trauma. The same reason is behind the color change. It is also possible that you might be developing gingivitis.

I will suggest you get an appointment with your dentist. Let him check your gums clinically. Maybe he will do your scaling. Otherwise, ask him to counsel you for the proper brushing techniques so that in future you can avoid gum injury from toothbrush.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Gum Injury from Toothbrush
Your information: