Holes in Teeth Beginning Near the Gums

Home Free Dental Consultation Ask A Dentist Holes in Teeth Beginning Near the Gums

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    needinghelp
    Participant

Hello,

I have some issues with my teeth. I don’t have the best dental hygiene. I have always had issues with sticking to the routine as I never did in my childhood. I did have cavities on my baby teeth, and they were bad until I lost those teeth.

Now I have worse issues since I have only my adult teeth. My teeth have holes beginning near the gums. I also noticed over time, my gum line seems to be receding and my teeth are super sensitive to cold and sweet. I am 23, and I am so afraid to lose my teeth and I am not confident in smiling at all anymore. I am looking for advice and knowledge on what I may face at the dentists. Need expert opinion regarding holes in teeth beginning near the gums.

Thank you for any and all help.

#985 Reply
    Reeha Amin

The fact that your baby teeth were carious has nothing to do with the issues you are facing with your permanent dentition. The only similarity might be not being able to maintain good oral hygiene. The holes in teeth that you are mentioning are cervical caries. Caries is a process whereby bacteria in the mouth come into contact with sugars in the food. This results in the production of lactic acid which attacks enamel and results in it chipping away. The layer next to enamel is called dentine. Enamel is not sensitive, that is why when it is being affected, the process in painless. But as soon as the caries reach dentine, patient starts feeling sensitivity because dentine has nerve endings. The fact that you are experiencing sensitivity in teeth means that your dentine is now exposed. The layer next to dentine is pulp, if the cavity reaches the pulp, it will either result in rendering the tooth dead or in severe cases we extract the tooth.

That being said, there can be other reasons for rampant or quick caries in the mouth and those can be calcium deficiency in your diet during formative years and/ or reduced production of saliva. Caries develop quickly in a dry mouth. If you have any clinic condition or take regular medications, those might be the reasons of reduced salivary flow in the mouth.

The treatment for holes in teeth includes the following steps:

1. Caries removal: removing the black or brown sticky material from the tooth surface
    2. Filling of cavities: after cleaning the tooth, filling the cavity with a biocompatible material
    3. Fluoride treatment of teeth: to protect the teeth against any further caries
    4. Capping of the teeth to protect them from further damage: to render the teeth inaccessible for bacterial attacks

It will be a full mouth treatment. If the treatment is not done, you can quickly lose your teeth. To be able to save the teeth, it is essential that immediate and quick action is taken.

For now, use a fluoride toothpaste twice a day, before going to bed at night and after breakfast in the morning. Do saline gargles 3 times a day, they are very effective for the treatment of receding gum line. Within 10 days, your gums will start to feel and look healthier given that you do it regularly. There are clinical treatments of receding gums, if you are overly concerned about receding gum line, there are invasive procedures where we detach the gums from the teeth, clean the tooth surface, place the bone graft and put the gum back. The reason for receding gums is the presence of bacteria for which antibiotic therapy can also work.

You have to choose a competent dentist to get yourself for treatments because these are intricate and require expertise and diligence. Improving diet can help tremendously, increasing the intake of fibrous foods can slow down the process of caries development. Fibrous food is hard to chew so it stimulates the gums and is helpful for self-cleansing of teeth. Sticky foods should be avoided as they increase the risk of caries.

#1033 Reply
    Dr Maria Asif

Don’t panic as this will further worsen your condition. Even if you were never conscious of your dental hygiene, there is always time to have a fresh start. Before I jump on to your problem, I want to give you some tips for hygiene maintenance. You must brush twice daily and floss once a week. If you can not maintain a routine, make a chart and stick it to your washroom door. When you brush, simply cross the day out. This way, you can maintain a list of your habits. Also, make sure you learn proper techniques of brushing and cleaning teeth so that you can get maximum benefit from it.

Now, let’s talk about your teeth. As far as I can understand, you have cervical caries. Along with that, I think you are also suffering from periodontitis. This explains the holes in your teeth and the sensitivity. Moreover, the problem of recession is also common in periodontal problems. Since you had cavities in milk teeth, I believe you have high risk of carious lesions.

I understand your fear of losing your teeth, but relax because there are still plenty of options for you. I believe you have enamel caries, but it can only be confirmed through clinical evaluation. If I am right and your lesion has not spread to the pulp, it can be cured from simple filling very easily. And as far as the gum condition is concerned, scaling will resolve that matter. Thus, I suggest you get an appointment with your dentist to get the treatment done.

Once you receive proper care, you will be able to smile confidently. That being said, even after your treatment, you will have to maintain proper oral hygiene at all costs. I hope I have addressed all your concerns, take care!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Holes in Teeth Beginning Near the Gums
Your information: