I Only Have 28 Teeth at Age 17 (is this normal?)

Home Free Dental Consultation Ask A Dentist I Only Have 28 Teeth at Age 17 (is this normal?)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ibrahim

I only have 28 teeth at age 17. I have a little confusion. Has everyone got 32 teeth? We always learn in school that human dentition consists of 32 teeth. I have even studied the formula in my biology class.

Today, after our lecture, I counted my teeth. To my surprise, I could only count 28 of them. I freaked out and asked my friend to count it, and the result was the same. My friend checked and he has all 32.

So, now my question is, what is wrong with me? I only have 28 teeth at age 17 (is it normal?). Do I need to get my teeth checked? My mother said it is fine. She thinks it is normal, and not everyone has 32 teeth.

I am still confused. I need proper answers to my mystery. Is there any treatment for this condition? Will I get my remaining teeth naturally? Or, will I never have a complete dentition?

#397 Reply
    Dr Maria Asif

Yes, it is normal to have 28 teeth at the age of 17. And, what your mother said is also true. Not everyone has a total number of 32 teeth. In fact, it is quite rare to find people with all of them. That being said, yes, there are chances that you will get your remaining teeth.

You do not need any treatment because it is merely a problem. You are completely normal and there is nothing wrong with your dentition. The chances of the eruption of your third molars depend on several factors.

To understand this, recall your lecture of dentition formula. You must’ve learnt that there are three molars in each quadrant. Now, the third molars or the wisdom teeth have erupting age of 18 to 21 years. Some people get theirs early like your friend. On the other hand, some people do not get them at all.

First of all, genetics play an important role in this matter. If your parents have their wisdom teeth, chances are you will have yours too. But, if even one of your parents does not have them, your chances of getting them will decrease by 50 percent.

Now, you may feel like you are missing out on something. But there is nothing to worry about. Because only a fraction of people can keep their third molars. You see, humans are evolving continuously. We have small jaws now. And these jaws cannot contain 32 teeth.

That is why, in most people, third molars are missing. And those who have them need extractions. So, it really doesn’t matter if you get a total of 32 teeth or not.

At the end, when it comes to oral health, quality is better than quantity. Make sure to keep your 28 teeth healthy, and you will never need the remaining ones. So this is why it is perfectly alright for you to only have 28 teeth at age 17.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: I Only Have 28 Teeth at Age 17 (is this normal?)
Your information: